Sunday, January 6, 2008

The new and exciting!

Hello one and all!
This edition is going to be wordy and less pictorally pleasing because the last time we tried to upload pictures the computer froze. Bummer. Anyway here we go.
So many things are new and exciting! Try buy 4 skirts, 1 pair of pants and a new shirt for just under $30. And they are all so pretty! Michael and I got to visit the walking street last night. Its a market that is open each weekend and is just teeming with vendors. There is something for everyone. Skirts, shirts, ornate wood carvings, earrings, baskets, bags, mango sticky rice, 30 minute massages for under $2.00, you name it. Everything is sooo inexpensive. I bought this fantastic skirt yesterday for 400 baht, about $12.00 and that has been the most expensive thing I have purchased.
I have gone crazy for skirts! I have been female my entire life, but it has taken me coming to Thailand to turn me into a girl. -grins- Since things are so inexpensive I have begun indulging my girly side and I am loving it.
For those of you planning to visit, let me give you a few words of advice. #1-Start saving #2-Pack light and #3-Bring an extra suitcase. You will go home with a new wardrobe.
As for food. When I was back home I didn't really care for Thai food. I could have it every once and awhile, but the idea of having it everyday was just short of torchure. Since arriving, I have begun to love it! There are so many different kinds, most of them spicy, but in general all very good! Annabell and David Bell, our Canadian contacts and friends here, have been introducing us to local Thai culture and food. From spring rolls and sticky rice, to ginger taffy and cococnut pancakes, it has been quite the experience.
Michael and I began teaching today. I am teaching the lower grades, primary or patom, and he has the higher ones which I can't remember the names of. Patom 1 is my most challenging class because they don't listen and...they don't listen. It makes things difficult. But the others are good so far. The older they get the more respect they show, so hopefully my 5th and 6th graders will be angels.
This is all I have time for now, but we will keep you updated and will send some pictures your way soon! We love you and miss you all!
Summer and Michael

2 comments:

Momma Nancy said...

Hey save some merchandise for me to buy when we come visit!!! Elyse and Aunt Rosie always said the shopping in Chiang Mai is the greatest. Love you - can't wait to come visit - still waiting for Bill to get the time off work.

Dan and Lisa said...

Hi there,

So glad that you made it safely! Hang in there with all the changes in your life, as you said multiple.....we are praying for you.

Love you,
Dan and Lisa