Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A story of Sapphires and monkeys

He keeps promising that I will write... So I have decided to do so. -grins- I'm not trying to avoid it, I really enjoy chewing the fat will all y'all but time is so tricky. It just slips through my fingers like water. -Sigh- Okay enough stalling. A story...

Well, Michael really has covered the most exciting things that have been happening to us lately. So I could either re-cover what he has already done a great job in describing or I can make something up. hmmm. How about some truth and some elaboration? Oh I like it!

So wednesday we went into Chiangmai with Annabelle. We had been super lazy that morning, making paperclip castles and painting the walls of our bathroom with red berries, so it was nice to get out of the house. She picked us up in her super awesome pink and green car that has purple flames on the sides and we rode into town.

After picking up her dashing husband David at the train station we went to a resturant that served farang (or western people) food. It was this awesome low-lit resturant with antique guns on the walls and miniature flags from each country lined up on a shelf near the ceiling. It was nice to be immersed in an english speaking enviornment for a short time, and also to be able to eat food with Cheese in it. (It's expensive here so we have stricken it from our diets. )

We did a lot of shopping in the afternoon, visiting Central, a down right maze of stores that is four stories high, and then going to the night market. The night market is unlike anything you will see in the states. There are ninjas and street performers and elephants walking around. (okay that may not be entirely true, but there are stalls with people selling things that go on for about a mile and a half). As you walk hilltribespeople accost you with their wooden frogs and shiny silver bracelets, and everyone wants you to see what they have to sell. It's brilliant! Colorful fabrics, pillows, dresses, skirts, videos (all illegally copied of course), games and foods invade your senses! Its beautiful!

As we were leaving the market a man came up to us and wanted us to buy this sapphire jewelry. Bangles were hanging from his ears and as the light caught them it cast blue rainbows on our faces. I started reaching for my wallet when I was bumped from behind by a hunchbacked old woman. She had the wrinkliest face I had ever seen and had a patch over one eye. I wai'ed her out of resepect and that seemed to please her because she looked around me to where the sapphire vendor was standing, and lifted up her eye patch. Instantly I heard a crash and when I turned around, there was a monkey standing in the middle of a bunch of broken glass 'sapphires.' The old woman laughed, snapped her fingers and the monkey jumped onto her shoulder. I looked up at Michael in utter disbelief and then turned back to the woman, but she had disappeared.

So that is the story of our evening at the night market. Hopefully it entertained you some. Much love, the ever scheming Summer.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

..Monkeys.....Mangos...Motorcycles.......Michael.....
....Missionaries!!!Wow!!!!MORE Stories!!! We want more!!!

(I know you are both VERY busy, but just want you to know we love hearing about all the adventures!!!)

Let us know if there are some things that you are "dying for" or that you could use for your classroom and I will try to send them with Sierra in March! Be thinking!
Bunches!

Montana said...

Summer love, you are crazy. And i love you and your stories! I love hearing all sorts of adventures. Love you!

Larissa Moore said...

Yay! It sounds as if you two are having a grand old time in Thailand!! I love you! And I'm praying for you! Have a great Weekend :D

Momma Nancy said...

Hmmmm . . . what to believe, what not to believe. . .

Love you!

Brandon said...

Haha, I got spammed with your blog info and couldn't resist ;)

Great to hear that you are enjoying life abroad! My best friend spent a year there and a lot of what you mention sounds familiar. Enjoy all the time you get and keep us posted!

Miss you guys!
Brandon

Jaime said...

I'm going to believe the old woman witch eye because it's much more comforting to think sapphire con men are being caught by wai-ing white girls....