Monday, March 3, 2008

Oh, the Things We've Done...

In thinking about what to entitle this blog (Michael here, by the way), many different ideas have come to mind. Some of which include "We Have an Announcement to Make," "Of Times We Almost Died," "We Were in the US for About an Hour," and "The Accosting of a Farang." Any of these could have done the trick, or at least raised an eyebrow or two. No doubt, you have already read (or will read shortly) about the "announcement." I don't think I need to comment on that at this point. So, I will raise my glass with you to experiences gone of which you have not heard yet. Drinking glasses ready? Non-alcoholic (preferably Martinelli's white grape), of course... Here are the days of our lives from the last week and a half.

Last week, we had graduation. Monday for the Matayom and Tuesday for the Pratom. It was really interesting finding out that they have graduation a week and a half before school really gets out. They had a whole week of classes and 3 days of tests to finish after the whole graduation celebration. The ceremony was nice, though. The church all decorated and students all robed up, everything went off without a hitch. The Thai people are so tradition oriented. When the students went up to receive their diplomas and other awards, they barely cracked a smile. They just bowed or curtsied in a mood reminiscent of a Catholic Mass or Episcopalian Communion-- very respectful. There was no whooping or hollering until after everyone marched out.

On Tuesday, Summer and I were actually in the US for about an Hour. I suppose "in the US" isn't totally accurate. Maybe "on US soil" would be more truthful. We visited the US Consolate in an attempt to get our marriage license authenticated and to register with them in case unrest decides to rear its ugly head in this part of the world. Well, we didn't achieve either of these goals, but we took some paperwork home to fill out, and we are planning on going back on Thursday when the officer who authenticates official documents will be there. It was a strange feeling of "being home" while we were there, though. I can't really say why.

Last week, we had three days in a row where storms rolled in and we got to experience a preview of the rainy season. Let me tell you, I am excited! :-) I was sitting out in our hammock on our front porch reading a book when the wind started agitating the trees, thunder roared in the distance, and the distinct odor of ozone tickled my nostrils. It was really quite exhilarating. The next thing I knew lightning was striking right over my head and buckets of water were pouring out of the sky. After a couple minutes, hail started falling. This hail was not the white balls we are used to back home. It was a white ball surrounded by an inch of clear ice on a somewhat flat plane, making the whole thing look similar to a traditional alien spacecraft. It was pretty cool. The next morning at about 4 am, another storm rolled in and I could have sworn the roof of the house was going to be ripped off.

I think I will save Sunday's adventures for another day. I promise to make it soon. I could write twice as much as I've written here on that day, I think. Pictures will accompany soon too. We are now finished with the second day of final tests. After tomorrow, we will be done with our teaching duties for the hot season holiday. School starts up again on May 20. "What will you do with all that time?" you might ask. Well, we are going to spend time with family, do some work around campus to improve (or maintain) the campus, travel, help out with a mission institute (childcare), and avoid frying or dehydrating in the heat. More adventures from Thailand to come! Thanks for being patient with our delay in writing. Love!

~M

3 comments:

Deb Silvestri said...

So..........you are not prego? Just let us get this straight.

Momma Nancy said...

So when do we hear about Sunday's adventures???

Momma Sandi said...

Very clever of you, my dear! I am glad that Daddy told me about the "new member of the family" before I read this... I wonder how many people you will catch before they read the last line?! Good show! How did you come to name her Sauce? Finally, I'm a proud grandmama! Little Saucy Lee!
By the way, where are the king's gardens at in relation to where you live? Love your pictures!