Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thoughts on Six Weeks

This'll be a short one. I just thought I'd share some thoughts and experiences as they come to my mind. I guess you could call this a free-writing exercise.

First of all, big news that I'm sure NONE of you know about. *Ahem* Go back and read that first sentence again, but this time read it with a sarcastic tone. --Moving on-- We have a new president! It has been interesting observing from a more removed area all the happenings in America. We don't have TV (praise the Lord), so all of our event-following has had to be via the internet. It was quite exciting coming to school on Wednesday and watching as the polls started to close and the votes counted. Change. In light of end time events, any change is very exciting. Please understand that I'm not speculating that Obama will be the last president before Jesus comes, but every day we come closer and closer. I tried to teach my students the other day the word "anxious." When I think about the end times (which I've been doing more and more lately), I would have to say anxious is the best word to describe my feelings. Excitement, fear, motivation, nervousness-- all these things make me want to tell people about the good news of Jesus more.

I have been studying my Bible a lot more, and while I can't say that I know everything, I can say that I've learned a lot from my study and reading. It's amazing what some good study can do for your spiritual life. I'm getting a bigger picture of God's awesome plan. I have for the first time in my life started reading some of Ellen White's writings. I was never interested in reading them earlier, because I didn't like the way many people used her writings. I think about that now, and that's a little bit silly. People use the Bible in bad ways too, but I still read it. So, I gave her a chance. Wow, Wow, Wow!!! I would *highly* recommend reading some of her writings. Steps to Christ is amazing! If you are a new Christian or not one at all, read that one first. I have recently started reading the "Conflict of the Ages" series. I'm in the middle of Patriarchs and Prophets as well as The Great Controversy. The way this woman writes, you'd wonder how anyone could beat other people over the head with her writings. I urge you. If you have been turned off from her because of other people, just try her writings out-- from a fellow skeptic turned believer. Of course, always measure her writings (as well as anyone else's--Adventist or not) against the Bible. Just because writings may be popular does not mean they are right.

Speaking of the end of times, the end of our time here is only 6 weeks away. Wow! And speaking of anxiety, I am anxious to come home. We've changed a lot since coming here, and I don't know how I am going to handle returning to a strange culture. I am absolutely thrilled to see all of you, but at the same time I'm scared out of my mind. Expectations are a curious thing. And I am out of time. Off to my next class. Please pray for us as we finish our time and ministry here. I will post a blog soon of some of the things I've learned since coming.

Blessings!
~M

3 comments:

Momma Nancy said...

Six weeks !! wahoo !!

Becky said...

Michael, thank you SO much for this post. I was so relieved to learn that I'm not the only born-and-bred-Adventist who doesn't read EGW on a regular basis. My parents are die-hard fans (if you will) of her writings, and quote her regularly. Every year my father purchases another book from her massive collection of writings to add to my growing EGW library. I can't say I don't appreciate it...but I am terrified to tell my father I haven't read any of them. In fact, all but one of them (which was required reading for a college class) has never even been cracked open. I'm afraid of disappointing him, and I keep telling myself, "One day I'll read them."

Anyway, your post did me good. And keep harping on how we should give her (and most authors!) a chance. Because it helps people like me.

Thanks.

Sarah Linfoot said...

I thinks it's been So great following your blogs and experience there in Thailand! You Both have experienced so many different things. It reminds me too when being an SM way back yea....in Harare, Zimbabwe Africa.... Ya! How cool your time is soon to again be with your family and friends. We have kept you Both in our prayers along with Aaron and Kelly in Peru! Blessings to you both as you close this exciting chapter in your life! We All look forward to seeing and hearing all you have to share. God Speed, and Praise the Lord you're enjoying reading EGW!!! Becky Harvey:0