Thursday, August 14, 2008

Big hips

Students here can be so charming. I have become quite fond of the greeting, "Teacher, you very beautiful." It doesn't matter if I rolled out of bed and came to school with my hair akimbo or if I spent 45 minutes trying to get it perfect. Every day there is at least one student that tells me that I am beautiful.
However, there are other comments made that are less than charming. For instance today in my grade 5 class I was leaning over helping a girl with her assignment when the pre-teen in front of her reached over to poke my hip. "Excuse me," I thought to myself. "That's mine." She giggled speaking rapidly to her friends in Thai and then said, "Teacher, big big!" My eyebrows when up to my hair line as I gasped and marched her off to the principal... No, actually I did no such thing. I grinned back and said, "Yes, they are big aren't they?" and went on helping someone else.
People are honest to a fault here at times. It was suprising at first but now it's just part of day to day life. I take the big hip comments right along with the 'your beautiful' ones because I know they are both said in love. Besides, I know they're just jealous. You don't see hips like these every day. -wink-

No comments: